Monday, September 1, 2008

Reactions

I have been a very traditional girl for years now with the typical 9-5 job living the average American life. I've been following the path of what people say is normal for years. So when I told various people what I planned on doing I got some pretty great reactions. My Dad was the best of all, after I told him I was going to take a step back from my career he said, "we'll you better be ready to find yourself a cabin in the woods and hunt your own food, and chop wood. Knowing my Dad came from a rough childhood where he was one child of 12 living on bread and tomatoes I can understand. I took it for what its worth. My Mom just shook her head and said "MhhMhh" . I think she understands more than anyone what I am trying to do. She's been the one that I've called on the way to work as I am sobbing because I didn't want to leave my kids everyday. She is my best friend she here's it all and is my sound board. Gosh I love her, she's a great person:) Then there was the reactions from my friends, most of them were so excited for me and wished me luck. Except for Tammi who asked 100 questions, "what if they fire you?" Playing the devils advocate I could appreciate, she always makes me think about the side that I try to avoid. However this one was already thought of, what if they fired me? She of course wished me the best and was happy for me.

The moment that I told my boss (brother) and the VP of the company not much was said. We sat in the conference room the lights were dimmed and nothing was said for about 5 minutes. I was explaining how I thought it all could work, and they just looked at the proposal I handed them. Then my brother asked "what do you want to get paid hourly?" Then the VP said "well I guess we can't make you work full time." I wanted to say so much but I knew I had to keep things simple, to keep my composure and not end up blubbering. After all I had worked with these two for 14 years, and the waters ran deep.