Friday, January 30, 2009

Tie Off Before Climbing that Tree

Today I took Emily to school, something I won't be able to do for a while. Yes I teared up when I was walking away, not feeling sorry for myself just a bit sad. I must trudge on and up. So I met with my Dad this morning at Borders, he didn't want gifts for his birthday so I gave him my valuable time. We talked initially about plumbing, learned more than I wanted to know about a toilet. Anyways I asked for his advice on what to possibly do in my career road ahead. Do I play it safe and stay in my comfort zone or venture out and take yet another chance to get closer to my goal.
He is a philosopher and is so great at putting together analogies to make life seem so simple. He used the scenario of me climbing the tree when I was younger and how high I would climb. Then he said if it were me climbing that tree and so much was at stake I would tie myself off. You have to have a plan and a rope to tie off just in case the worst were to happen. Something to catch you if you fall, cause you never know life could be over in a second.
Then he said are you ready to go to war? Are you prepared? If you make a choice to leave your allies be ready to fight. Are you ready to fight a battle that will probably last longer than you expect? So I have to ask myself that question am I prepared. Do I want to hunker down find myself a nice whole and get myself big fat and wait until this crazy economy/storm blows over.
Today I will complete all of my work for my web business. Next week I go back to work full time. Oh joy, yes I am happy and feel very grateful for the opportunity .
The last thing my Dad said is remember this life is a game and no one gets out alive, so don't take it so serious. Negotiate until you get what you want, and have fun. Soudns a bit harsh, but it has helped me think a little clearer on the choices I will have to make in the next few weeks.