Monday, November 10, 2008

Keeping it Simple

I wonder if Life in America will ever slow down. Today as I was working out there was a conversation I couldn't help but listen in on. It was a guy talking about his wife going part time. He went on to explain that their cutting out daycare cost and will be able to make ends meet. He then said "most importantly she'll be able to spend more time with the kids". This may sound silly but it gave me hope for a simpler America. We all seem to be so busy, and exceed our needs. I often see these big beautiful houses with no one in them? I wish everyone would just slow down. We have so much more than most people in the world but everyone wants more. I myself want more, more shoes, a bigger house, a nicer car. But one thing I keep reminding myself of is that monetary things don't make happiness. It's the simple things in life. Like Emily winning her first trophy. Or Jake thinking he can really fly because he was dressed as buz light year.
Yeah someday I'll be well off, but I am not willing to give up my happiness for it. These days I find myself smiling more and just in a better mood. These days in our house you'll find just the right mix of caos and love.